Vatican prosecutor seeks trial of protester who scaled St Peter's

The Vatican may try a man who scaled St Peter's Basilica to protest against laws that he says lost him his business in Italy, a spokesman for the papal city state said on Friday.

Marcello di Finizio has been held in the small Vatican jail since being arrested after spending the night of December 21 on a ledge of the church just above the central balcony where the Pope addressed crowds on Christmas Day.

It was the fifth time in recent years that he had climbed the basilica, holding banners that variously criticized politicians, Europe and "financial dictatorship", and calling on Pope Francis for help.

The Vatican's chief prosecutor, Gian Piero Milano, whose official title is "promoter of justice", will request next week that Di Finizio stand trial, spokesman Ciro Benedettini said. A Vatican judge will then decide whether the prosecution should proceed.

Di Finizio, who is 47, according to Italian media, apparently used ropes to lower himself onto a ledge on the church's facade from a roof that is open to tourists.

He says he lost a beach-front concession where he ran a bar called "The Voice of the Moon" because of changes made several years ago to European and Italian laws to make the sector more competitive.

related articles
Man protests on ledge of St Peter\'s in Vatican
Man protests on ledge of St Peter's in Vatican

Man protests on ledge of St Peter's in Vatican

Femen protests: Vatican arrests woman who bared breasts during Pope address
Femen protests: Vatican arrests woman who bared breasts during Pope address

Femen protests: Vatican arrests woman who bared breasts during Pope address

Pope Francis to release first-ever papal letter on global warming
Pope Francis to release first-ever papal letter on global warming

Pope Francis to release first-ever papal letter on global warming

News
Kidnapped Anglican priest dies in captivity in Nigeria
Kidnapped Anglican priest dies in captivity in Nigeria

Amid a rash of mass kidnappings in Nigeria, an Anglican priest in Nigeria abducted along with his wife and daughter has died in captivity, leaders of the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion announced on Wednesday.

Sudanese refugee threatened to stab preacher at London’s Speakers’ Corner
Sudanese refugee threatened to stab preacher at London’s Speakers’ Corner

A Sudanese refugee threatened to stab a Christian street preacher at Speakers' Corner in London earlier this year, a court has heard. 

Tribunal upholds new safeguarding complaint against David Tudor
Tribunal upholds new safeguarding complaint against David Tudor

A new complaint against disgraced priest David Tudor has been upheld by a Southwark Diocese tribunal. 

Christians to celebrate ‘the beautiful game’ at Wembley
Christians to celebrate ‘the beautiful game’ at Wembley

The event is part of the Football Association’s strategy to use ‘the beautiful game’ to bring communities together.