UK government hints it will recognise ISIS atrocities against Christians as genocide

Genocide against Christians and Yazidis at the hand of ISIS may be recognised by the UK government after ministers hinted they would take action.

Foreign office minister Baroness Anelay told peers in the House of Lords on Tuesday the government is trying to find "new ways" to work within the United Nations, a previous roadblock in the effort to recognise genocide.

The UK has previously refused to follow the White House and the European Parliament in declaring a genocide, despite a unanimous vote by MPs that it should do so. The Prime Minister has insisted it was a matter for international courts, not politicians.

However several parliamentarians, including Lord Alton who has campaigned for the government to change its position, said this was a "circular argument".

He pointed out that the International Criminal Court (ICC) cannot act unless it is instructed to by the UN's security council, of which the UK government is a permanent member. He was joined by Fiona Bruce and a number of other Christian MPs in the Commons and said the government had a "responsibility" to make a referral at the UN security council.

David Alton was formerly an MP for 18 years before becoming a cross-bench independent peer in the House of Lords Facebook / Lord Alton

As yet no indication has been given that the government intends to take action. In a debate in the House of Commons foreign office minister Tobias Ellwood said the government was concerned that Russia or China, also permanent members of the security council and long term supporters of the Syrian President Assad, would veto a proposal that called for investigation into genocide in Syria.

But Baroness Anelay's responses to questions in the Lords on Tuesday indicated the government may be shifting its position. She hinted the government could be working on a resolution that Russia and China would agree to, despite their ongoing support for Assad.

But Lord Alton told Christian Today there were other ways apart from the ICC that perpetrators of genocide could be brought to justice. He has tabled a private members bill in the House of Lords that could provide a mechanism that would bypass the obstacle of the UN. If passed it would enable to UK's High Court to assess the evidence and make a declaration on whether genocide had been committed. The bill would force the government to act and refer a High Court ruling on genocide directly to the UN security council and the ICC.

"It is now two months since the House of Commons unanimously passed a Motion declaring a genocide to be underway against Christian and Yazidi minorities and calling on the British Government to raise this at the Security Council," Lord Alton told Christian Today.

"Thus far no Resolution has been tabled. There are many ways in which the perpetrators can be brought to justice – not only through the International Criminal Court - and I hope that we will use our permanent seat at the Security Council to ensure that a mechanism is urgently created."

Lord Alton's bill is unlikely to receive a second reading in the House of Lords due to the lack of parliamentary time available. But it could provide the basis for an alternative response, should the UN security council continue to cause a blockade.

related articles
UK Church leaders reluctant to declare ISIS killings 'genocide'

UK Church leaders reluctant to declare ISIS killings 'genocide'

Christian peer: Government in contempt of Parliament if it ignores genocide vote

Christian peer: Government in contempt of Parliament if it ignores genocide vote

Last words of Christian girl, 12, burnt to death by ISIS: 'Forgive them'

Last words of Christian girl, 12, burnt to death by ISIS: 'Forgive them'

Yes, ISIS really is Islamic. Now it\'s time for us to admit Christian crimes
Yes, ISIS really is Islamic. Now it's time for us to admit Christian crimes

Yes, ISIS really is Islamic. Now it's time for us to admit Christian crimes

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.