Saudi air strike in Yemen destroys Oxfam warehouse containing relief supplies

The warehouse in Saada destroyed by a Saudi airstrike. Oxfam

Oxfam has condemned a Coalition air strike on a warehouse in northern Yemen containing relief supplies.

The strike by Saudi Arabian forces demolished the Oxfam facility.

Grace Ommer, Oxfam's country director in Yemen said: "This is an absolute outrage particularly when one considers that we have shared detailed information with the Coalition on the locations of our offices and storage facilities. The contents of the warehouse had no military value. It only contained humanitarian supplies associated with our previous work in Saada, bringing clean water to thousands of households.

"Thankfully, no one was killed in this particular airstrike although conservative estimates put the death toll in the country as a whole, since the conflict began, at around 760 – the majority of which are civilians."

The Saada region is a stronghold of the Iran-backed Houthi militia which has overrun the country, leading to a Saudi intervention in support of the Sunni government. Saudi Arabia has not yet commented on the incident, but the spokesman for its military campaign, Brigadier General Ahmed Asseri, has said targets are chosen to avoid civilian casualties, and that the Houthis often put guns in residential areas.

Yemen's dire humanitarian situation, already regarded by aid organisations as critical before the Saudi air strikes began, has been worsened as a result of weeks of fighting and a naval blockade aimed at stopping arms flowing to the Houthis; it is also stopping food imports,

Analysts say that a worsening humanitarian situation risks undermining Saudi Arabia's political strategy of maintaining the legitimacy of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, now in exile in Riyadh, and restoring his government to power. If Yemenis blame their harder circumstances on the Saudi-led air strikes rather than the preceding military advance by the Houthis, President Hadi's legitimacy may start to be called further into question.

Additional reporting by Reuters.

related articles
Yemen\'s Houthi rebels face UN arms embargo as battles rage
Yemen's Houthi rebels face UN arms embargo as battles rage

Yemen's Houthi rebels face UN arms embargo as battles rage

New Yemen vice-president says he hopes to avert a Saudi invasion
New Yemen vice-president says he hopes to avert a Saudi invasion

New Yemen vice-president says he hopes to avert a Saudi invasion

Yemen\'s Houthi leader accuses Saudi Arabia of seeking to invade
Yemen's Houthi leader accuses Saudi Arabia of seeking to invade

Yemen's Houthi leader accuses Saudi Arabia of seeking to invade

News
Kidnapped Anglican priest dies in captivity in Nigeria
Kidnapped Anglican priest dies in captivity in Nigeria

Amid a rash of mass kidnappings in Nigeria, an Anglican priest in Nigeria abducted along with his wife and daughter has died in captivity, leaders of the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion announced on Wednesday.

Sudanese refugee threatened to stab preacher at London’s Speakers’ Corner
Sudanese refugee threatened to stab preacher at London’s Speakers’ Corner

A Sudanese refugee threatened to stab a Christian street preacher at Speakers' Corner in London earlier this year, a court has heard. 

Tribunal upholds new safeguarding complaint against David Tudor
Tribunal upholds new safeguarding complaint against David Tudor

A new complaint against disgraced priest David Tudor has been upheld by a Southwark Diocese tribunal. 

Christians to celebrate ‘the beautiful game’ at Wembley
Christians to celebrate ‘the beautiful game’ at Wembley

The event is part of the Football Association’s strategy to use ‘the beautiful game’ to bring communities together.