Philippine church bombing was carried out by Indonesian couple, says interior minister

The Philippine interior minister said an Indonesian couple with ties to an Islamic State-linked group are behind a church bombing that killed 20 people last weekend. 

The Christian community in the Philippines was badly shaken by the attack on the cathedral on the mainly Muslim island of Jolo, in the country's southern Sulu province.  

The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack, which came days after a peaceful referendum that resulted in a vote favouring autonomy for majority Muslim parts of the Mindanao.  

The island region of Mindanao has been under martial law since May 2017 when terrorists affiliated with ISIS stormed Marawi City and engaged in a five-month standoff with government forces.

On Friday, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said the evidence, including eye witness accounts, pointed to an Indonesian man and his wife being behind Sunday's church attack.

'They are Indonesians,' Año, a former military chief, told CNN Philippines' News Night. 'I am certain that they are Indonesians.'

He said the pair had been helped by radical Islamist militant group Abu Sayyaf.

'There are two foreigners involved in the bombing and they were aided by local Abu Sayyaf who acted as guide, and probably conducted preliminary surveillance prior to the bombing,' Año said.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said it appeared to be a suicide bombing, which if confirmed would make it one of the first in the country.

On Wednesday, a deadly grenade attack on a mosque in the largely Christian province of Zamboanga, in the south-west of the Philippines, killed two people. It is unclear who carried out the attack.

Zamboanga is close to Jolo, a stronghold of Abu Sayyaf, a group notorious for its kidnappings.

News
Kidnapped Anglican priest dies in captivity in Nigeria
Kidnapped Anglican priest dies in captivity in Nigeria

Amid a rash of mass kidnappings in Nigeria, an Anglican priest in Nigeria abducted along with his wife and daughter has died in captivity, leaders of the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion announced on Wednesday.

Sudanese refugee threatened to stab preacher at London’s Speakers’ Corner
Sudanese refugee threatened to stab preacher at London’s Speakers’ Corner

A Sudanese refugee threatened to stab a Christian street preacher at Speakers' Corner in London earlier this year, a court has heard. 

Tribunal upholds new safeguarding complaint against David Tudor
Tribunal upholds new safeguarding complaint against David Tudor

A new complaint against disgraced priest David Tudor has been upheld by a Southwark Diocese tribunal. 

Christians to celebrate ‘the beautiful game’ at Wembley
Christians to celebrate ‘the beautiful game’ at Wembley

The event is part of the Football Association’s strategy to use ‘the beautiful game’ to bring communities together.