Patrick Sookhdeo found not guilty of indecent assault

Dr Patrick Sookhdeo, founder of the Barnabas Fund, has been found not guilty of indecent assault at his trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Patrick Sookhdeo outside Swindon Crown Court earlier this year. SWNS

He was arrested in November 2015 at Heathrow Airport on suspicion of an assault on a woman in Plaistow, East London, in 1977, following an investigation by detectives from Newham borough.

Sookhdeo founded Barnabas Fund, which supports persecuted Christians around the world, in 1993. He was found guilty in February 2015 of a sexual assault on a woman in his office. He was also found guilty of intimidating witnesses in the case. He was given three-month community sentences for each offence and told to pay costs and a victim surcharge. At his conviction then, the judge said: 'You will be hugely punished by these convictions and your life will change for good.'

Sookhdeo resigned from the Barnabas International Aid charity after the conviction. However, the board declined to accept his resignation as its international director and he was quickly reinstated as a trustee.

He resigned as a trustee of Barnabas Aid International and from his positions as international director and chief executive of Barnabas Fund in November 2015 following his arrest on the charge on which he has now been acquitted.

News
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology

The Alliance Defending Freedom warns of more such arrests if the government introduces its much-maligned definition of 'anti-Muslim hatred'.

Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?
Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?

17 February 2026 is Shrove Tuesday, the traditional day for eating pancakes before the start of Lent. This is the story …

CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs
CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs

Most CoE choirs currently have no children involved.

Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal
Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal

A Christian social worker whose offer of a job was withdrawn over public comments he made about marriage and sexuality has won his case at appeal.