Missing Mexican Priest Found Dead €“ Another Martyr To Drugs Cartels?

A Mexican priest missing since early Januaary has been found dead, the Catholic Church has revealed.

Fears had been raised for the safety of Father Joaquin Hernandez Sifuentes, who ministered in the state of Coahuila, which is plagued by drug cartel violence.

A statement from the state's Saltillo diocese said it had been informed his body had been discovered. It released no other information, said Fox News.

The statement said: "Father Joaquin was someone who looked for perfection in everything he did; the desire to always innovate in his work, has been reflected in love by the faithful, including during the past 10 days."

Hernandez was due to go on holiday on January 3 but is thought to have been abducted. A friend went to his house at the church and found his room in disarray.

While no details have emerged about the circumstances of Hernandez' death, he is the latest of more than 30 priests to have been killed in Mexico since 2006, most of them in areas plagued by drug violence.

In November, Father Jose Luis Sanchez Ruiz, a priest and human rights activist, was been found alive but tortured after being abducted in the state of Veracruz, the third priest to have been kidnapped since September. The other two were shot and killed.

Accordng to Bishop Fidencio Lopez, Sanchez Ruiz was "dumped, with notable signs of torture" at an undisclosed location.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.