Manchester suicide bomber was rescued by British navy in 2014 from Libya

A British man who killed 22 people in an attack in Manchester at the end of a show by US singer Ariana Grande was rescued from the civil war in Libya three years before by the British navy, the Daily Mail reported.

Salman Abedi, born to Libyan parents, was thought to have been on holiday in Libya in August 2014 when fighting broke out and British officials offered to evacuate UK citizens, the Mail said.

Abedi and his younger brother Hashem were among about 100 British citizens plucked from the coast of Libya and taken on the HMS Enterprise to Malta for a flight home to Britain in August 2014, the Mail reported.

The Manchester bombing on May 22, 2017 was the deadliest of five militant attacks in Britain last year that killed a total of 36 people.

Seven children, the youngest aged just eight, were among those killed in the Manchester attack. Hundreds were injured.

'For this man to have committed such an atrocity on UK soil after we rescued him from Libya was an act of utter betrayal,' the newspaper quoted a British source in Whitehall as saying.

Security sources quoted by the Mail said that Abedi was not believed to have been radicalised at the time of his rescue.

News
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology

The Alliance Defending Freedom warns of more such arrests if the government introduces its much-maligned definition of 'anti-Muslim hatred'.

Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?
Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?

17 February 2026 is Shrove Tuesday, the traditional day for eating pancakes before the start of Lent. This is the story …

CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs
CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs

Most CoE choirs currently have no children involved.

Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal
Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal

A Christian social worker whose offer of a job was withdrawn over public comments he made about marriage and sexuality has won his case at appeal.