Former priest faces deportation after statutory rape conviction 

Former Catholic priest Hector Coria-Gonzalez may be deported to Mexico after being convicted of statutory rape in California last year. 

Coria-Gonzalez pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a 16-year-old parishioner. 

On Friday, the 46-year-old was taken from his home in Davis by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Removal Operations officials, and taken to the Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center in Sacramento County.

A news release from the agency said the former cleric will stay there without bond while his immigration case is pending. 

Coria-Gonzalez was a priest at St James Parish in Davis, and engaged in sexual acts with an altar girl. Following his conviction, he was defrocked by the Catholic Church - which prompted Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to begin a deportation investigation. Coria-Gonzalez was in the country legally before he committed the crime. 

Formal deportation proceedings were begun immediately after his arrest, officials told the Sacramento Bee.

Pope Francis has condemned the abuse of children, and made clear that his papacy will not cover up the horrific crimes. 

"There are no privileges," he told journalists on a flight from the Middle East to Rome after visiting Israel, Jordan, and the West bank last year. "On this issue we must go forward. Zero tolerance."

No bishop has been publicly sanctioned for covering up sexual abuses within the Catholic Church, although Francis' sex abuse advisory commission has stated that bishop accountability is one of their priorities.

The Associated Press reported earlier this month that the sex abuse advisory commission is currently drafting a sanction proposal for the Pope to consider, and Francis recently sent an investigator to Kansas City, Missouri to investigate charges that a local bishop covered up a priest's sexual misconduct.

 

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.