Christian couple refuse to take down 'offensive' Jesus sign in front of home

Lynn and Mark Wivell proudly stand beside their Christmas display. (PHOTO: WHP-TV Video Screenshot)

A Christian couple from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania wanted to showcase their love for God in their Christmas display at home, so they put up a manger scene with a white sign carrying the word "Jesus" in red garland and adorned with lights.

Several people from their homeowners association took offense to the festive display, according to WHP-TV. Less than 24 hours after they put up the display, an edict was made requiring them to take down the "offensive" sign.

But Lynn and Mark Wivell have not intention of folding to the pressure. "We feel that's what Christmas is all about - Jesus' birth," Lynn said. "So we're celebrating His birthday, and this is the way we decided to do it." Mark added, "We wanted to show at our house, that the real reason for Christmas is the birth of Jesus."

They said they were "shocked" anyone would be offended by their display as Jesus is the reason for Christmas. One neighbor, Neil Blevins, said their display was "sort of a finger being raised" at the community.

"Clearly I'm not opposed to Christmas," he said, adding that he was "raised a Christian." He was "not the person who complained," but he hoped the Wivells would take down their display just so the community would be at peace.

"I have no problem if that's what they want to do. I have a problem that if other members of the community find it offensive," Blevins said, adding that the Wivells have "elected to do the non-Christian thing."

The Links at Gettysburg homeowners association said that the sign isn't "in accordance with normal Christmas decorations," so they sent an email requiring them to take it down. The Daily Caller reported that the display was first put up on December 16, 2017, and the Wivell couple only plan to take it down on January 15, 2018.

News
Kidnapped Anglican priest dies in captivity in Nigeria
Kidnapped Anglican priest dies in captivity in Nigeria

Amid a rash of mass kidnappings in Nigeria, an Anglican priest in Nigeria abducted along with his wife and daughter has died in captivity, leaders of the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion announced on Wednesday.

Sudanese refugee threatened to stab preacher at London’s Speakers’ Corner
Sudanese refugee threatened to stab preacher at London’s Speakers’ Corner

A Sudanese refugee threatened to stab a Christian street preacher at Speakers' Corner in London earlier this year, a court has heard. 

Tribunal upholds new safeguarding complaint against David Tudor
Tribunal upholds new safeguarding complaint against David Tudor

A new complaint against disgraced priest David Tudor has been upheld by a Southwark Diocese tribunal. 

Christians to celebrate ‘the beautiful game’ at Wembley
Christians to celebrate ‘the beautiful game’ at Wembley

The event is part of the Football Association’s strategy to use ‘the beautiful game’ to bring communities together.