Artwork by Kenji Goto goes on display in Tokyo

Artwork created by executed Japanese journalist Kenji Goto is on display in Tokyo's Chiyoda Ward until Wednesday.

The exhibition, entitled "Flowers of Lives," appears in the Gallery Hibiya, and features artwork done collaboratively with graphic artist Nakaba Kozu in 2010.

Goto sought to expose the violence and persecution experienced by those living in war zones, and the artwork is reflective of the brutality he witnessed. 

One piece, entitled "Broken boy," is a collage that creates the face of a child killed in the Liberian civil war. 

Goto himself was captured by the Islamic State and beheaded last month, along with aspiring military contractor and Japanese citizen Haruna Yukawa.

The exhibition is presented by Tokyo-based nongovernmental organisation the Japan-Iraq Medical Network (JIM-NET), and features dozens of artistic creations - many of them featuring Middle Eastern children. 

Goto and Kozu hosted an exhibition five years ago, and JIM-NET secretary-general Maki Soto expressed regret that Goto will no longer see his artwork on display. 

"When I went to see Goto's work in 2010, I thought how similar our efforts were," Sato said. "A few years ago we planned to organise such events together."

Sato also discussed the significance of Goto's work as a journalist and artist in combat zones. 

"He was not the only one providing support for people in war zones," Sato began. 

"But without a place to present the efforts of people like Goto, their voices would remain unnoticed and unheard. I want people to see it and contemplate.

"It's not only about Goto or our organisation's efforts. It's a symbol of what we all should be engaged in."

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.